Your holiday table will be beautiful when you lay this out. Cut extra pastry with seasonal cookie cutters for added panache!
Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a baking sheet with a silicone sheet or parchment paper.
Dry the cubes for 8 hours or 5-7 minutes in 350℉ oven. Place in large bowl with vegetables, broth, seasonings and flax meal. Mix with a fork. Mash in tofu. Using your hands, mix all the ingredients for 1 minute.
Put the entire mixture onto the baking sheet and form into rounded roast 3 inches from the edges. Pour the gravy over the roast. Lightly work into the exterior of the roast with a fork.
Roll out the pastry on a floured surface. It should be 3 inches larger than the roast in all directions. Place the pastry over the roast and hand roll into the roast and under the first couple of inches of roast ingredients. Pinch the exterior of the pastry roll to make a nice rope-like edge. You can press fork tines across edge for a nice design. Or cut pastry shapes with cookie cutters like leaves or pumpkins out of a second sheet. See video.
Bake 25 minutes covered with another silicone sheet. Remove and cook another 10 minutes if pastry is not brown.
NOTE: This is made with Mmmushroom Gravy. If you have another gravy you like feel free to use it. However, if you are making the gravy for a holiday, double or triple the recipe. Believe me - people will down it.
Copyright Marty Davey, 2007. All rights reserved.
What you'll need
- large bowl
- teflon baking sheet or parchment paper
- cookie sheet
- rolling pin
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1/2 pound rye bread, 2 inch cubes, dried 8 hrs
- 1 pound commercial seitan with juice
- 2 medium carrots, chopped & steamed
- 2 10-inch celery stalks, chopped & steamed
- 1 large red onion, chopped & steamed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaxmeal
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 8 ounces seitan strips
- 1 1/2 cups Mmmushroom gravy – SEE NOTE
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed